Payroll Tax

Payroll Tax remits taxes and files tax returns for federal and state 941/W2 filings as well as federal 1042s tax remittal and filing.

  • Remit Federal and State Payroll Withholding Tax Payments
  • File Federal and State Quarterly and Annual Tax Filings
  • Remit Federal 1042s Tax Payments
  • File Federal 1042 Tax Filing


General Payroll Information

Harvard University may directly employ individuals working in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont), California, New York, and Maryland, and requires employees working from those states to allocate their state tax withholding accordingly.


For assistance with state allocation and withholding please visit Entering & Editing Residence, State Distribution(s), & Tax Forms in PeopleSoft.


Individuals not working in a registered payroll state or working outside the United States must be hired using a third-party payroll provider or other approved payroll option (e.g., Harvard affiliate). Foreign Nationals / Nonresident Aliens may also have additional restrictions, see the Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance Website - Working in States Outside of Massachusetts website for guidance.

For questions regarding working in a state or country not listed above, contact your local HR to understand what options may be available.

For assistance with the following areas please visit Harvard Training Portal for PeopleSoft Self-Service Instructions.

  • View Paycheck
  • View Compensation History

For Foreign Nationals/ Nonresident Aliens, Harvard University uses GLACIER, a secure, online tax compliance system to determine correct tax withholding and/or tax exemption (if applicable). 


Additional Contacts for Payroll Tax

Central Payroll

T: (617) 495-8500 option 4
F: (617) 496-3196

Central Payroll Website


Nonresident Alien Tax (NRA)

Tax withholding and reporting for foreign individuals and foreign entities. 

T: 617-495-8500 option 5

F: 617-496-3196

Nonresident Alien Tax Website